Applications for 2013 are now available and are due September 21st, 2012 at 5:00 PM PDT. Read through these requirements and follow the instructions at the bottom to submit an application.
EarthShare Washington (ESW) is committed to representing premier organizations whose work contributes to livable communities and a healthy planet. In addition, our work requires us to understand the perceptions and needs of the workplace donor.
We want to assure the donor that, year in and year out, EarthShare will invest those hard-earned donations to earn the greatest yield.
In 2009 and every three years thereafter, EarthShare Washington will open up the application process to new organizations that add value to us as a workplace fundraising organization. We are particularly interested in organizations whose work complements, not overlaps, programs of our current organizations. ESW is not a quick fix for unrestricted fundraising; rather, it is a relationship whereby both the applicant and EarthShare Washington benefit.
Participating organizations are required to actively engage with ESW. Examples include participating at workplace fundraising events or obtaining a meeting with a new business prospect. All levels of the applicant organization's board, staff and volunteers must be aware of the application procedures and work requirements, and are prepared to fulfill them.
ESW requires a one-time, non-recurring initiation fee of $2,500. The fee, which is itself a statement of commitment on behalf of the applicant organization, may be paid over a period of two years from the join date.
Criteria for Organizational Membership
EarthShare Washington's (ESW's) local organizations must:
Mission and Impact
- Address critical issues that are important to the people of Washington. Its programs must clearly demonstrate benefit(s) in one or more of the following 5 key program areas:
- Energy & Climate
- Forests, Habitat, & Wildlife
- Pollution & Toxics
- Recreation & Parks
- Sustainable Communities
- Provide services statewide or to a significant population of the state and/or have a substantial presence in the state.
- It must have a program presence in Washington for a minimum of three years, and does not engage in or advocate illegal activities.
- Provide written financial statements or audited statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- For organizations with revenue over $100,000 preference is given to those that include a financial audit. The audit must correspond to the year of the IRS 990 submitted. The audit year must conclude after June 30, 2011.
- Demonstrate that funding sources are stable and diverse.
Administrative and Governance
- Hold tax-exempt status pursuant to section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or any other applicable law.
- Submit materials for ESW's annual application to public sector (government) employee giving campaigns (examples include the Combined Federal Campaign and the Washington State Employees Combined Fund Drive).
- Demonstrate an ability and commitment from the organization's board and staff to promote ESW to the organization's constituencies.
- Be governed by a voluntary board.
- Have a policy that does not permit discrimination because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Annual Membership Requirements
EarthShare of Washington and its member groups are partners in raising funds through workplace giving. EarthShare therefore requires that each member group participates at a minimum agreed-upon level annually.
If you believe you meet the above criteria, you’ll need to create an account before proceeding
- You will be emailed a password and an account activate link. (This only took about 45 seconds to reach my gmail test account, but it may take longer.)
- Click the link and login to your account.
- Please, save your account information and password.
About the application
- Please read all instruction carefully and view the attachment at the bottom of the application page for sample narrative that will help you complete Section 2.
- Current members: please take note of the sections we already have on file and what we need you to fill out.
- While all the information is essential, bear in mind that Section 2 counts for 65% of your organization’s overall score.
- Section 3 counts for 15% of your organization’s score. Reviewers will visit your website and review any additional materials you submit. You are not required to submit additional materials; only include them if they reflect favorably on your organization.
- July, 30 2012 Applications available.
- August 28, 2012 10am-11am information call. Let us know if you would like to participate.
- Sept. 10, 2012 10am-11am information call. Let us know if you would like to participate.
- Sept., 21, 2012 Applications due at 5pm PDT.
- Dec. 14, 2012 Membership decisions announced
ESW’s staff reviews the applications for completeness and clarity, and may ask the organization for additional information. The applications then move to a community review team, volunteers who will read your applications, discuss them with others, and evaluate them. Those evaluations, along with staff comments, are forwarded to ESW’s Board of Directors, which meets in December to render the final membership decisions. Those decisions are announced on or before December 14.
At any time you may call us with questions or concerns (206-622-9840).
- This application is for organizational membership from Jan. 1, 2013 through December 31, 2015. If accepted, ESW funds will flow to your organization from the spring, 2014 through 2016. Note we require a $2,500 initiation fee, to be paid in full or over the first 2 years of membership.
- ESW organizations generally receive a minimum of $6,000 annually. Some organizations may receive more than $20,000 annually depending on the amount of pledges designated to them.
- ESW membership is a partnership whereby both parties benefit. Member organizations are expected to assist ESW in advancing its mission. ESW funding is neither a quick fix nor a life preserver; it is an investment in strong, effective organizations.
Application is due September 21st, 2012 at 5:00 PM PDT