Sightline Institute, the Northwest’s sustainability think tank, seeks an experienced communications manager to lead Sightline’s strategy for connecting our work to our increasingly diverse target audience of Northwest media and decision makers. Sightline generates a tremendous amount of media attention, with 600 placements last year alone, and the successful candidate will have a keen attention to detail, possess an unflappable demeanor, be efficient, have the ability develop thoughtful, strategic outreach plans and also synthesize the work Sightline does into savvy 140 character tweets. This position reports to the managing director and manages one direct report, the senior communications associate. Each Sightline staff member serves as a community-builder and ambassador of our mission, and so passion for a sustainable and equitable Northwest is a must as is a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Primary responsibilities include:
Media strategy & management
- Develop thoughtful, creative, strategic plans for promoting Sightline’s research programs and continually pitch stories.
- Manage incoming media requests of researchers by scheduling meetings and providing relevant resources for reporters.
- Grow Sightline’s media list and facilitate deeper relationships between researchers and reporters. -- Maintain regular contact with key reporters to position Sightline as their “go-to” source for Northwest sustainability topics.
- Evaluate and report on the results of Sightline’s media outreach.
Audience outreach & marketing
- Sightline newsletters: Manage Sightline’s suite of emails, including new topic-specific lists.
- Audience growth: develop and execute strategies for reaching more of our target audiences.
Research team support
- Oversee copy editing of researchers’ articles and reports for narrative and messaging quality, according to Sightline style standards, and for improved SEO results.
- Manage scheduling of articles and reports.
- Manage contract for graphics designers and freelance copy editors
- Report planning and publication:
- Technical: Provide editing and scheduling assistance to researchers.
- Outreach: Coordinate media campaigns around reports, books, and other publications.
- Write press releases and pitch stories.
- Compile targeted, updated lists for each from Sightline’s master list.
- Oversee social media outreach.
- Reporting: Build on metrics compiled monthly by the communications associate, pulling key highlights and trends to regularly inform staff of progress on annual goals.
- Twice yearly produce the Impact Scorecard—a reporting tool developed to share progress against stated goals with board, staff, and funders.
Oversee work of senior communications associate
- This position serves as the direct manager of the senior communications associate and works to help formulate annual work plans, priorities, and goals as well as serve as a mentor and resource.
- Serve as the main contact for our website designer.
- Continually improve operation of the website. Make updates—content and technical—as needed.
Key qualifications include:
- Experience developing media strategy, pitching stories, and managing relationships with media
- Clear, compelling communicator
- Interest and expertise in equity, inclusion and diversity
- Experience managing staff and developing plans for nurturing their growth and development
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to connect easily with people; friendly
- High degree of professionalism
- Creative problem solver
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and how each platform can be deployed in different scenarios
- Working knowledge of principles of SEO including keyword research and Google Analytics
- Critical thinker, ability to distill and effectively communicate complex issues to lay audiences
- Excellent writer and editor with strong copy- and line-editing skills a plus
- 5-7 years of experience in related work preferred
Salary & Benefits:
Sightline offers competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance, four weeks of vacation, ten days sick/safe leave, nine paid holidays, retirement contribution, and a three-month paid sabbatical every seven years. The salary range for this position is $55,000-65,000 DOE.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and writing sample compiled together as one PDF document, addressed to Riley Kent: email@example.com.
In your cover letter:
In addition to your core qualifications for the position, please include any personal or professional experience you have working to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion (socioeconomic, racial, ethnic, and/or cultural).
Sightline appreciates a broad array of experiences and backgrounds and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continually strive to ensure that our audiences, staff, and board reflect the geographic, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and other demographic diversity of the Northwest.
Priority given to those submissions made prior to August 14, 2017. Position open until filled.